The World in the Satin Bag has moved to my new website.  If you want to see what I'm up to, head on over there!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Blog Move Begins: What Subscribers Need to Know (Plus, Important Info for Email Subs)

As you may recall, I've just opened up a brand new website for all my stuff.  Obviously, this means that I will be moving my blog to that site in the very near future.  That process begins now.  Here's what you need to know:

What's happening to your RSS feed?
I will be redirecting my Feedburner feed to my new site-controlled feed.  In theory, you shouldn't have to do anything.  Your feed reader should pick up the new feed and update your subscription.  That's how it's supposed to work.

If you want to manually change your subscription, you can find the new feed here.

How will we know if the feed redirected correctly?
Two ways:
  1. You'll see lingering posts from this blog page suddenly appear in the other feed.  Since I haven't transferred the last 5 posts or so into my new site, they'll get pinged in the feed reader.
  2. You'll see a Test Post on Sunday or Monday.
  3. You'll see (maybe) a new regular post on Monday or Tuesday.
If you do not see either of these things by Tuesday of next week, then something went terribly wrong and you'll have to manually update your feed reader to the new feed.  My hope is that this doesn't occur.  But you never know...

What about email subscriptions?
This one is a bit tricky.  The most common option for email subscriptions is the one offered through JetPack.  Unfortunately, JetPack won't allow me to import my email subscribers list so I can avoid interruption in service or pinging all of you email subscribers with another subscription request. As such, I am strongly considering MailChimp as a replacement.

What that means for email subscribers is that one of two things will happen:

  1. You most likely won't notice a darn thing, because I'll import your emails into MailChimp and service will resume as per usual.  At worst, you may get an email from MailChimp saying you've been signed up or something.
  2. You'll get an email from me saying "if you'd like to stay an email subscriber, you'll need to resubscribe," followed by copious amounts of apologizing.
I don't want to go with option #2, but depending on how difficult it is to integrate MailChimp into Wordpress, I may have to.

So that's it.  In the next few days, things are going to change completely.  This blog will be "shut down" and my new website will take over.


Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book

No comments:

Post a Comment